It is so strange that most times the Scripture does not give us elaborate reasons why certain things happen. It only takes the discernment of the Holy Spirit to understand spiritual things.
My question is this? Why did the devil come in form of a serpent? There are other animals the devil would have manifested into but chose to use the serpent as a host in the garden of Eden. I will certainly tell you why.
* The serpent is the only animal God created with six senses which is more than the five senses of man, does that make sense to you?
For you to live or operate beyond the senses God gave you, you need to apply the sixth sense. The sixth sense is the spiritual sensitivity, without it you cannot discern. The devil turned the spiritual sensitivity into subtility. Adam and Eve dwelt on their five senses of carnality and were not sensitive to the things of the Spirit. This is the reason sometimes you hear someone telling you to use your number six, meaning, to apply knowledge or wisdom beyond the ordinary.
* Genesis 3:1 says, “Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made….”.
The question is: How did the serpent become more cunning than other animals?
When a spiritual entity enters into a body or host, the body is now controlled by the spirit. The carnal mind is limited and the spiritual mind is alive for good or bad. Whatever possesses you controls you. It controls your thought, destiny, purpose and thinking. Either way you are possessed. It is either you are possessed by the Spirit of God or the spirit of the devil.
* Look at the words of Jesus in Matthew 10:16, “ Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves”.
The question is: Why would Jesus use the serpent as a yardstick to His disciples?
Being wise as the serpent implies operating on the same spiritual realm of knowledge which the devil is using against man. When you know what the the devil knows he can not deceive you. When you understand things beyond the physical that is when you are ready to take dominion.
* John 3:14, “And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up”.
The question is: Why did God tell Moses to use the bronze serpent as a symbol of rescue? (Numbers 21:9).
The serpent deceived man in the garden of Eden, so it deceived the children of Israel by murmuring against God. So for them to live they must look at the serpent and remember that whenever the hedge is broken the serpent will bite.
* Jacob said to his son Dan, “Dan shall be a serpent by the way, a viper by the path, that bites the horse’s heels so that its rider shall fall backward” (Genesis 4:917).
The question is: Why did Jacob make such pronouncement?
For you to defeat the enemy you have to think faster than the enemy. The serpent is subtle in nature, so you have to look for his weakness to counter his subtility. Biting the horse’s heels means not engaging the enemy with the same mentality but by the mentality of a spiritual warfare.
For you to win battles against temptation, against the enemy, against principalities and powers, you have to be spiritually wiser than whatever is confronting you. Confront whatever you want to achieve by the dimension of spiritual sensitivity. Shalom.